We spent the evening trying to explore a bit of Flint but found only a very dirty river, a large park and jazz trio playing in the grand opening of a parking garage (John, Cory and Max jumped an embankment and followed the music they heard until they BUSTED into this parking lot grand opening/black tie affair in their rain-soaked shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. I can't believe I missed it, probably quite the site).
We loaded into the venue, tried to grab some dinner at a dive bar where the waitress was making all the food (we ran out of time and had to skip out on the fine dining of the "Torch Bar and Grill") and set up out gear. In the mean time...
It was POURING the skies over Flint exploded in rain and made load in and load out a huge mess. Additionally there were the booms of huge fireworks to add to the noise and bright lights of the thunder and lightening.
After we finally set up I went to change my clothes/wash my face in the bathroom and I must have looked like a total mess with my hair in a giant bun and my clothes in a bag on the floor and this woman put her hand on my shoulder and SO kindly said, "Do you need a place to stay tonight?" and my hands were soapy and I was totally confused and I said, no I'm okay and she said....get ready for this....
"Are you sure? IT REALLY SUCKS TO BE HOMELESS, I WAS HOMELESS ONCE"
I assured here I was not homeless, or on drugs, and that I was just in the band and it had been raining and I just really needed a nap and shower.
We played an awesome 35 minute set in front of around 150 people and were even asked to play an encore. The crowd was VERY demanding and we sort of just looked at each other in disbelief. We pulled a song out of our pockets in the clutch. Vindell style.
Taste This, the band we opened for was an electronica/power-pop-punk band. Everyone had a blast dancing and drinking with the crowds.
We drove an hour south from Flint to Ann Arbor to stay with childhood friends of John's for the night, but it wouldn't be a tour with out some adventure....
About five minutes from out destination in Ann Arbor we came across some detours and began praising the GPS for being able to take us another way....praising...until...we ended up in what we deemed to be NARNIA.
Our first clue should have been the "no outlet sign" our second should have been the end of the paved road... BUT the nice British woman in the GPS kept taking us forward. Forward through the doors of the wardrobe, PAST the lion, PAST the witch until we got to a total dead end at a house, in the middle of the woods. Confused we sat in silence for a second until she enlightened us with the now VERY familiar..... recalculating....
Fail.
John swiftly pushed Cory out of the drivers seat and did a 4000 point turn into some trees to turn the van and trailer around.
We got to Bailey and Hannah's house at around 3 am. Hung out with them and their friends and set up our makeshift beds on their floor.
Long day. Good thing they ate elk.
We woke up pretty late this morning and took our hosts out to a wonderful breakfast in downtown Ann Arbor. Now we've set up a practice space in their living room and we'll stay here until we have to head out for our show in Michigan Center, MI (about an hour or so away).
After tonight we'll drive to stay Leah's sister Kat in Ft. Wayne. More updates to come!!
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment